Friday, September 17, 2010

Donna Reed in the making!

I am a planner. A fabulous planner. It's the execution (specifically the initiative to begin), that I lack. Once I start something, it's as good as done. But that point in time in between planning and beginning is where I tend to lag. A couple of weeks ago now I purchased a pattern for a 1950's style apron. I had the fabric, the practically perfect shears, and the desire to create... but became paralyzed at the cutting stage (I mean, those patterns are tissue paper thin!).

I have officially broken through my road block, and not only cut out all of the needed pieces, but I've finished constructing the flower pocket! It has a soft yellow binding (that will also trim the seams of the apron- I love the 50's!). This was my first attempt at attaching binding using only a machine. Typically, I will sew the front with a machine, flip it over and blind stitch the fold line to the back. The machine-only method used here was so much simpler, and faster! I'm very happy with how it looks, but I still have the feeling that I will revert to my conventional binding method for my quilts. The stitching on the top is easy to control with a piece this thin... but something tells me that using a machine, I will lack the control to achieve the precision I want with something quilt-thick.

I've also purchased some fabulous childrens fabric to create a quilt for a friends new baby. Hopefully I'll have a good start on it to report on soon (hey, maybe I'll even try a new binding method on this one!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment