Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wrong is right

For the left-handed crafters of the world, finding the perfect scissors is a never-ending challenge. Most of the best manufacturers don't make them (or they do and they're no where to be found) and the rest put no effort into them; Crappy ergonomics, poor quality construction and dull blades abound in the land of scissors for the lefties! For the most part, due to a lack of availability at the time of need, and the poor options available when they're there,  I've taken to using the right handed version in the wrong hand, and turning them upside down so that the cutting blade is on the correct side (picture fingers in the thumb grip and thumb in the larger grip). Over the years, I've grown pretty used to this orientation.

With shears, this strategy doesn't really work, because of the angle between the handle and blade surfaces. If you turn them upside-down, the function of the angle is defeated... and frankly, they're useless. I've been working with a beautiful pair of Gingher feather light shears for the last two years that I recieved as a gift. They are the right handed variety, so I've had a hard time using them, because to hold them at the correct angle in my left hand, the cutting surface is in the wrong place, which makes the cuts difficult to predict...but really didn't want to let them go!

To celebrate a recent success I decided to invest in a new pair of lefty Ghinger 8" dressmakers shears. They arrived today and they're so pretty, so sharp, so comfortable and practically perfect in every way. They even came in their own little Gingher tin. I've been cutting away at scraps all night, just to get to play with them! And the best part? They only set me back $22 on Amazon.com, with free shipping!

The first project for my new scissors has been descided! I am going to branch more into garment-type clothes and make a circa 1950's smock-style apron using the fabric pictured above. Donna Reed, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment